Friday, 10 May 2013

Loose covers

Rather than buy new furniture it seems that my recent clients are 'making do' and recovering instead!
I have been so busy this year making loose covers - here they are.....

A very happy client.

 A make-over for a very sad looking sofa.
The loose cover provides an instant uplift!

A shabby chic look for this furniture.
The worn out floral covers were binned; seat cushions replaced 
with foam and feather wrap inners and new covers made in 
a nice thick, floppy white linen.
 The new covers have totally transformed the furniture.
The clients were so pleased by the totally new look.
 The wing chair, below, is awaiting a new cushion - 
we decided the original was just too small and looked odd.
Every loose cover pictured above has a full set of arm covers. 
They are cleverly made to protect the whole arm from getting worn and dirty in use, 
and are virtually undetectable when fitted properly.

When making the covers, I pin fit the fabric in situ. 
After lifting it away very carefully from the furniture 
I take it back to my workroom to trim and complete,
 adding piping and a skirt if required.


I'm now waiting for a lull in my orders so that I can make 
loose covers for my own pieces,
a generous three seat sofa and a wing back chair.
Watch this space for my transformations!

5 comments:

Sharmayne said...

This is the first time I have come across your blog, and wow, you do beautiful work!! We have a recliner style chair here that my grandmother passed onto my husband before she died & it has been well used, with the head & arm areas now worn. Would it be possible that I could make a cover for this style of chair in the same way??

Debbie said...

Hello Sharmayne. Thanks for your comment.
You should be able to make a loose cover for the recliner in a similar way. It might be best to open the chair into the recline position before you start measuring and pin fitting the fabric though.
Good luck x

Janet Collett said...

Thank you so much for your blog.
I have also done sewing all my life and have tackled many things. I have been trying to persaude myself that I could make loose covers for 2 armchairs which are very similar to those in your pics. Having read your tips, I now have greater confidence and would like to try. PLease can you tell me roughly how much fabric I need ?
Thanks Jan

Debbie said...

Hello Janet
I'm pleased you are going to tackle loose covers. Although I pin fit the actual material I would suggest you use a firm calico to make your first cover, rather like a toile! You can then use that for your pattern.
You probably need around 7 metres for one chair, but about 13 for two as the seven includes about a metre for piping, which should give you plenty for two chairs.

I hope this helps - let me know how you get on.
Deborah xx

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your awesome tutorials...sew helpful. I'm About to tackle making slipcovers for 2 wing chairs. I'd like to make them fairly fitted but am having trouble figuring out how to enclose so I can remove to launder when needed. Other blogs talk about a zipper at center or side back,but never give instructions. Any tips? The back of both chairs will be visible. Thx Kathie