In my previous post I have shown how to make interlined curtains (available as a free download), but before you start making them you need to calculate how much fabric to buy.
When I make curtains for my commissions I use a series of calculations to work out the fabric requirements, which I have put together in easy, succinct, charts for my Adult Education students to use. (Not that they particularly need easy or succinct - there's just no point in making life complicated!!)
A curtain commission awaiting collection, in my workroom
The five charts show how to:
- Calculate fabric requirements for lined or interlined curtains with a pencil pleat heading.
- Calculate the extra fabric you need to buy when using patterned fabric.
- Calculate the fabric requirements for lined or interlined curtains with triple, double or goblet pleated headings.
- Calculate the lining and interlining requirements.
- Record the cutting out and making up measurements.
They are available to download, for free, here.
Please let me know how you get on if you use them for your curtain making.