Wednesday, 8 September 2010

Do you make bags? Then check out this new book by Lisa Lam

Just over a week ago I received my pre-ordered copy of a fabulously informative book on bag making.


It's the long awaited "The Bag Making Bible" by Lisa Lam of U-handbag.




I enjoy reading Lisa's blog posts, and find her tutorials full of valuable information. I also buy my frames, handles and bag hardware from her on-line shop.




Lisa's first book is not a disappointment - it is a wealth of information, fantastic pictures and little hints and tips to make tricky jobs easy!




I have been teaching sewing for 30 odd years, both in secondary schools and Adult Education, so I have seen many 'how to' books on sewing and making, and this is, by far, my favourite and, I think, the best I have seen. 
Lisa has got it just right. 




If you are new to making bags use the actual size patterns, supplied in the back of the book, and follow all the instructions to create a fabulous bag for yourself.




If you already make your own bags, and make your own patterns, as I do, there is still a whole load of information that will make your bags look so professional.



I really like the little 'Need to Know' boxes that appear on most pages, with snippets of information to make the task in hand a little easier.


Lisa's instructions are succinct and easy to understand, supported by the colourful, but detailed photographs. 
The whole book is inspirational and a pleasure to read.


So if you think you'd like to give bag making a try, you really must treat yourself to this book, and if you already make bags, buy it anyway - I bet you'll refer to it time and again!


I'm sure my copy of this book will be well used, and I shall recommend it to all my adult students, some of whom are avid bag makers.

I'm looking forward to seeing more publications by Lisa!

4 comments:

A Thrifty Mrs said...

Oh wow, that looks fantastic. I'm going to add this to my wishlist now!

averilpam said...

ooh I'm really tempted by this book!

Thecraftytrundler said...

I have that book too!!! Real eye candy, and can't wait to use it!!!

Sharon xx

Debs said...

I am finding the book really useful. I'm not using the patterns but the instructions for lining and pockets, etc. are really good.
If you haven't got it yet, put it on your Christmas wish list!